Saturday, May 14, 2011

Dead Birds and Goat Lungs

Wow, so I'm a horrible blog updater. In my defense I don't have electricity at site so appreciate what you do get.
Ok so I went to IST in Morogoro and had good times there with friends. It was my working vacation since A-level is out during march. Anyway I got back to my house to find a dead bird on my floor and my bench moved in my courtyard. So I called Utouh (another teacher) to tell him that someone broke into my courtyard and there was a dead bird on my floor. He came over and cleaned up the dead bird and mopped floor hardcore! He also found the kid that hopped my courtyard wall and found out that they were playing futbol and kicked the ball into my courtyard and he was the one who retrieved it.
So then I went to town to research dissections for school and came back to another dead bird in the house which Utouh kindly cleaned up again but no mopping this time...bummer.
I got new students (had to wait a week for them to show up). Most of the boys (form 6) returned and I have ~70 form 5 who are all female. Form 6 was learning about the respiratory system so for class I went to the butcher and requested the lungs and trachea. I got a straw from the papaya tree and let them blow the lungs up, deflate them, and dissect them. Afterwards they chopped it up and asked if they could eat them. I said karibu but cook them first. Utouh ended up eating them.
So bird story not yet over because I was at home trying to eat dinner and a bird came in. I opened my door to try and encourage it to fly out and then it went into my kitchen. (these birds are stupid they fly around and hit the walls and they can actually stand sideways on my walls as well. How do I get this bird out? Wait there are now 2 birds! Crap. So I sprayed mosquito repellent....didn't work as I had hoped. Finally got the one out of the kitchen and shut the door. Then I proceeded to chase the birds with a stick because they were on my rafters to try and get them out. I went outside with my light to try and lure them out...shouting at them didn't work either. They kept going towards the door and then veering to the wall. I called my neighbor who wasn't at school for bird chasing advice and he just laughed and told me to catch it for dinner. After one of the birds sat on my shoulder and more chasing I finally got them out. Then I took my only two hand towels and plugged the holes where they were getting through. Bird problem solved.
Anyway, I've been busy teaching (20 periods a week) form 5 and 6. I'm trying to get form 6 caught up in bio from last year and now I'm going to start helping teach them chemistry at night to help them finish that syllabus.
We have two lab technicians who are training at my school so I'm helping them as well. Things have been hectic and teaching is a lot of work, but i hope the students are getting something out of my classes.
Made a birthday cake for my neighbor's niece yesterday and get to go to the birthday party today to enjoy it.
Oh and it's cold season now and need to figure out how to stay warm in a skirt.
Hope all is well with everyone, mail is always accepted here (ask my mom or sister for my address if you need it or send me a private message for it).

No comments:

Post a Comment