Sunday, September 26, 2010

Mambo!

For all who are wondering I made it to the TZ (after 30hrs of travelling from Philly to NYC over MA and Boston, England, Paris, Zurich, the alps, Egypt (yes I was thinking of you Kristy), a stop in Kenya and in Dar). We got in at night so my first impression was that it was dark. There were a few weddings and send off parties when I arrived. I'm staying in a christian center that is like a hostel. I have my own room and shower!
It seems like all I do here is eat and sit. I've eaten fried bananas, bread, muffin, champati (like injera), chiken, beef (yes JulieAnne beef, but I passed on the chicken liver--only because I knew it was an organ), fish, sweet potatoes, veggies, and chai. I get a soda today.
We've been doing trainings and meetings, learning Kiswahili and getting laughed at when I try but it's cool. The weather (to fulfill the old person conversation) is supposedly cool with humidity (~80 not sure but it feels like IN) and it rains when it's sunny like IN and maybe only on one side of the compound.

For background of the program: Pres. Kikiwete of TZ was the first (and current president) that met Pres. Obama and the first thing he said to him was can you send TZ more Peace Corps Volunteers? (Like 400 --we currently have 131 serving). also TZ was the first PC program ever (it's a controversy though with Ghana). Apparently they put the selection process for volunteers to be rigorous here and if we don't meet their qualifications we can't come. So I am honored to be here (said to be the best place they send volunteers). The people are friendly and welcoming and the staff is awesome.
I also determined that my Microbiology major is a bunch of witch craft because if you can't see it and do not suffer from the illness that you are dealing with witch craft which I thought was amusing, but see their point of view.
I'll try to post pictures later. I also had another post written with more details and such so if you want to know more I'll tell you later.

Kwa Heri
Carolyn

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear you made it and had such a welcoming reception.

    Keep your fan club informed.

    ReplyDelete